Saturday, August 9, 2008

Freerice.com



Have you been to http://www.freerice.com/ ? It's a website where you can work on your vocabulary and help someone out at the same time. You are given a word, and 4 possible definitions. Everytime you make a correct answer, 20 grains of rice are donated to the United Nations Food Program. The rice is paid for by advertisers on the site. I found this site through a colleague at work and decided to show it to my grade five students. They loved it and it was a great chance to teach them a little bit about world hunger. One of my favourite moments as a teacher was watching them eagerly answer questions to donate rice and adding up our total as a class. Some of them shared the site with their families and would proudly tell me the total of rice they earned the night before. For any skeptics, the site has a great FAQ section and I thought this video below was helpful too. How much rice did you donate? What vocabulary level can you get to? A little friendly competition anyone?!



3 comments:

Joel said...

I can't get enough of freerice.com. Just donated 900 grains of rice. But I can't seem to break through vocab level 40...I'll keep at it.

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely addicted to freerice.com! :)

Arja

Julianne said...

It is VERY addicting. I only got to level 31 today but donated 4000 grains trying!