Sunday, December 30, 2012

2012 - The Year In Review

Life really does seem to speed up as you get older... I can't believe 2012 is already drawing to a close. I love these times of the year when it's natural to reflect on the past and make goals for the future. And one of the reasons I blog is to have a little record of where my head is at at certain points. I just re-read my new years reflections from last year. Here are some of the things I was hoping for for 2012 and how I think they went...

Practically I want to be diligent about meal planning and spending less on food. I want to put my clothes away at the end of the day (I know, I'm 30 something and still struggle with this. Shame on me!). I want to continue my quest for a simpler more generous life. Relationally, I want to invest in some new friendships and continue to strengthen the old. I want to pick up the phone more. I want to love my husband better and be a more engaged mom. Spiritually I simply want to learn how to become friends with God.

- I definitely improved on meal planning and most weeks had our dinners written out. I could do better at spending less on food and not wasting as much.

- Picking up my clothes? (still laugh that this was a goal, but hey, sometimes it's the little things). Still not perfect but now that we host a small group at our house and our bedroom is one of the meeting places, it's clean at least once a week. And I usually don't let the mess go on as long. I'll have to let Joel weigh in on that one.

-Living a simpler and more generous life is huge on my radar these days and I've made good steps towards that, including being part of a small community that meets once a month to bounce ideas off each other and grow. Again, still a long way to go. I think I have at least eight blog posts in my head related to this topic.

- We've definitely developed some new friendships that are growing. I can give us a clear check mark for that. We have people in our home way more than we used to and enjoy practicing hospitality. There is a greater depth we'd like to go in many of these new relationships and that takes energy I don't often feel I have, but I also know it takes time.

- Pick up the phone more? No, completely failed on that. Do people like to talk on the phone any more? I actually enjoy a good phone conversation but always hesitate because I don't want to bug people. Email and texting is safer. I admit, I like safe!

- Loving my husband better and being more engaged as a mom...steps forward for sure but I'll be working on those two for the rest of my life. I've become more aware of how selfish I can be and my addiction to comfort. I'm learning to make more decisions that aren't about me.

- And friends with God? Very very slowly but in a better place than I was a year ago. And the good thing is I feel no guilt about that. That's progress for sure.

I have much to be thankful for and today I'm especially grateful that I have grown from the person I was a year ago. Life is a journey and I'm enjoying the ride. Stay tuned for my goals for 2013. Happy New Year!!!

No comments: