Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Week One... Done!

ghWell, I've officially been a grade 5 teacher for 8 days now....and only one kid sent to the principal's office! I'm exhausted and overwhelmed but definitely surviving! I have 28 kids in my class and a full time teaching assistant since I have a girl with downs syndrome and a boy with aspergers. It's a weird time of year to get a new teacher, so the kids are definitely pushing me to see how far they can get. I think I've stood my ground and we're making baby steps but I imagine it'll be a few more weeks before I have the "great class" I've been told I have. I've had my fair share of eyes rolled at me. Grade fives are at that fun age of hitting puberty and developing their attitudes. And the girls... well, girls can just be really mean to each other. Curriculum aside, if I can teach them how to get along it will be a successful year.

One of my goals this year is to have balance. Too many teachers work all day and then work all night. The truth is, our job will never be done and we can always do better, but sometimes you just have to walk away. If the kids don't learn every aspect about the Greek environment, they still might actually grow up to be decent people. So I've been workig hard, but trying not to work TOO hard. It's a job, but at the same time, it's only a job. Thankfully I work with several other people who share that philosophy.

Although I miss my sleep-ins, it's good to be out working and hopefully influencing kids' lives for the better, even if they do drive me a bit nutty. But it's only 20 weeks 'til summer.... not that I'm counting!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heya Cous! It's great to hear about your new job... I remember Maria's first year in a full class and it was rough - but at the end, some good came out of it. I'm sure you make for a great teacher! It's funny the things you say about teaching, are also so often said about nursing... I guess it is all about balance! Blessings.
Catherine-Anne