Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Heat Is On

Tonight Joel and I finally turned our heat on. I can't remember what's normal, but it feels early in mid October. In one of my little attempts to be more 'green' I was trying to leave it off as long as possible, but tonight we caved. Who knew 17 degrees celcius would feel so cold? Last night I wore my toque in an attempt to stay warm while watching TV. Maybe that was a sign. The cold house brought back interesting memories from our experience of winter in Zimbabwe. It got really cold at night and our house wasn't insulated. Add that to the concrete floors and we were freezing. Nights would be spent as close to the fire as possible and we would go to bed wearing hats and fleeces piled with as many blankets as we could find and hot water bottles to warm our feet. Not really the image you normally get in your mind while thinking about Africa. I am still amazed that people survive in huts sleeping on the bare ground with little to no covering. We're keeping the temperature lower than we did last year, but I'm grateful for the option to press a button to warm my home.

1 comment:

the smiths said...

Too funny! I, too, was trying to do the same thing, though we also have Ro to consider. :) When I woke up the other morning and our home was 17 degrees, I decided to turn on the heat. Ro's fingers were a little cool.....