Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Who To Vote For

As the federal elections are approaching in less than a week, I am trying to figure out who to vote for. They would hardly be on my radar aside from the signs I see on people's lawns and the half hour of CBC radio I listen to every morning when I feed my boys their breakfast. I confess that I find Canadian politics quite boring and to be honest, I don't really care that much (*gasp*). Perhaps I should. Perhaps I'm not being a good Canadian citizen. It's not that I don't care about politics at all or think they matter. No doubt if there was an election going in Zimbabwe I'd be following closely. I am more engaged when it comes to municipal or provincial elections. I live in Mississauga, home of Hazel McCallion and I'm happy to cast my vote to keep her in power. Provincially there is often an issue related to education I care about and it effects my profession and my children. But federally, I don't really care. I know that's bad. I'm not engaged in the issues.

This morning I used this voting compass and some of issues I didn't really have an opinion. I also used the "Find Your Candidate" tool on this website which I found interesting. They both landed me the same result. So should I just go with that? Should I get more informed? Where do I find out more about the issues? How much time should I devote to this when I'm a busy mom of two? (And yes, I know I could use the time I spend writing this blog towards that, but who's kidding who, I don't really want to). What do you do? How do you decide? Someone convince me that MY vote matters. Just some thoughts for a rainy day.

2 comments:

the smiths said...

Don't look at me. I can't remember the last time I voted. That being said, I was just thinking today that I should be grateful I can vote. :) I don't think I will though.... :)

Tish said...

Well, as I read somewhere else the conviction to vote should be as simple as, 'People in other countries are dying for the chance to vote.' We are privledged and lazy about this responsibility. I've voted in every election (except 1) since the day that I turned 18. I get as informed as my time allows, and cast my ballot.