Friday, February 3, 2012

Putting My Teaching Hat Back On

Starting early next week I am embarking on a new adventure, albeit a short one. I'm going to be working full time for two and a half weeks at my school, teaching special education. A good friend is going on maternity leave later in the month and is taking some days off before that. She had originally asked me to cover for her and although I was intrigued I turned her down. My limit was teaching two days a week and more recently it's generally been just one. Then she informed me that my principal was asking if I could do it. I don't know her well since I've never actually worked for her (lots of turnover in administration) but she is the one who decides whether or not I can stay at my school part time and it would be helpful to be in her good books. So after some thought and conversations I've decided to do it.

The woman who watches the boys is happy to take them and I'm grateful for her flexibility. She has been a huge blessing for us... we love her values, energy, teaching/discipline style and ultimately her love for our boys. Knowing they are in such good care makes it a lot easier. I know they'll have fun and will learn a thing or two. She has assured me they will be fine...it's more me she's worried about!

I have missed teaching. I'm thankful to have a job that I love, that is not all-consuming and great colleagues to work with. I'm excited to get back for a short time and be a positive influence in a few kids' lives. Part of me wants to work more, but I believe the best for our family is for me to primarily stay home. There is no substitute for time. I feel okay about these few weeks because it is short and I'm hoping will solidify my decision. The extra money and building bridges doesn't hurt either. But I know I will miss my boys. I know by the end I will want to be done and question my decision. I've warned my husband that I will probably be a bit more weepy. Look out! That probably sounds a little dramatic for those of you with kids who work full time outside the home, but this is new territory for me. Any tips from the experts out there?

1 comment:

Tish said...

No tips. Juggling, and it is juggling, not balancing, work outside the home, and responsibilities within the home is beyond hard. Your house will be messy. Your laundry undone. You'll probably be tired and grumpy and there are never enough hours in the day.

I try to be present, mind as well as body, wherever I am at a particular moment. When I'm at school, I focus on school. When I'm at home, I focus on my kids and my husband. That helps.

Though, for me I don't think I'd have it any other way. I get much more enjoyment out of planning for my lessons, working with my colleagues, teaching my students then I do over a clean load of laundry, or sparkling bathroom. I even find I have greater patience with my children, and them with me, when I don't see them for a few hours a day. I look forward to playing with them, and I'm so not a playing type of person.

And one of the great parts of teaching is the hours. Yes, most nights I have work to attend to after the kiddies are in bed, but I work hard through my recesses and lunch breaks so that I can free up as much time as possible when I am at home. I plan my life so that I'm working lots when my hubby is, ie his evening and night shifts, so when he is home we can do family things. And of course I have summer, March break and Christmas vacations to lavish a tonne of attention on my kids.

I expect that if you feel that you are a stay at home type of person, than this short stint will confirm that for you. Regardless of the final outcome, I hope that you enjoy your journey back into the land of teaching, and daily adult interaction! (and sorry for the super long response)