Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Sleepover

On Friday night, Micah had his first sleepover with Mommy and Daddy. He went to bed fine but woke up around 11:30pm crying. It seemed as though he was scared of something. He would eventually calm but putting him back to bed wasn't working. My boys have never transitioned well. I hear of people's kids falling asleep in the car and them just carrying them up to bed. Doesn't happen here. I would sit with Micah, he'd fall back asleep on me in the chair and then he'd lose it when I tried to put him back in his crib. After moments like these it's normal for them to cry for a few minutes but usually it isn't long before they're back to sleep. We tried letting him cry but it was obvious something wasn't right and he just needed us. After both us attempting to get him back we brought him into our room, where he snuggled between our pillows and easily fell asleep for the rest of the night.

We are not co-sleepers. My boys have slept in their cribs from the first night they got home from the hospital...largely in part because there are two of them and also I'm a light sleeper. I could easily hear them down the hall. We never even used a monitor. I don't care if other people co-sleep with their kids. We all parent differently and do what works for us, but it's just not our thing. I'm glad to say goodnight to my boys and then see them twelve hours later. The break is good, for all of us. But I have to say that I absolutely loved having that unique time with Micah. He was so happy and just seemed like whatever fears he had, immediately subsided with his two parents beside him. Sometimes you have to break the rules just a bit. The paranoid person that I am was afraid that we had started a new habit but all nights since have been great. Shocking that one night didn't undo the previous six hundred, I know!! My bed is generally reserved for one man, but the occasional snuggle with one of my other favourite little guys is pretty special too.

No comments: