Friday, November 9, 2012

Date Night


Last weekend we had our first ever date night with the boys. We have often talked about how great and important one on one time is with them. They literally do everything together. Occasionally they are on a different floor of the house but usually find each other within minutes. I can count on one hand the times I remember them being apart which were mostly trips to the doctor, and usually the one staying home wasn't too happy about it.

Enjoying the music

But even though they are twins, our boys are individuals with different needs and interests. And we think spending time alone with them is a good idea. So when I heard the African Children's Choir was coming to town I knew I wanted to take Mr. C. He is my little music lover. He can carry a tune, clap the rhythm or beat and loves to sing. Mr. M hates loud noises and I knew a concert wouldn't be the best idea for him. So the day before I told C that he was going on a special date with mommy. I knew he didn't really know what a date was, but I did my best to explain (while driving to the concert he pointed to a gas station and said "that's not a date"). He knew that Daddy and M wouldn't be there and that he was going to hear some music. M got to stay with Daddy at Grandpa's house to have some extra time with extended family which was also special for him. C loved the date! I don't know many two year-olds that would sit on someone's lap without a peep for well over an hour, eyes staring on the stage and clapping along. But he did. And I could tell he felt special. I came home feeling so much joy and knew we needed to make this a more regular thing.



I have no idea what our next dates will involve but I'm looking forward to some special time with my boys!

2 comments:

the smiths said...

Awesome!! I had Ro there by herself and it was a very special time - one we will remember for a while!

Tish said...

Funny. My hubby and I were just talking about how we need to make this happen with our two. Not twins, but inseparable. Anyway, we're trying to make this happen for us as well. (I love Tim Day's special birthday days with his kids.) Like you we want to encourage the individuality of each child, including their unique relationship with each parent.