Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Easy Granola

I have many childhood memories of my mom making big batches of granola. Now that I'm a mom, I am fairly conscious of what kind of food goes in my sons' bodies. And they love their cereal. The problem is, that even the healthy kind of cereal is processed and contains refined sugar. That hasn't stopped me from giving it to them, but I knew I wanted to try my mom's recipe. It's really easy, is packed with healthy ingredients and can be modified to include what you like and take out what you don't. I'm not sure of the original source but thought I'd share.



5 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup sesame seeds
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup shredded coconut 
1 cup soy powder (I didn't use this)
1 cup powdered milk
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup honey
1 cup oil (I used vegetable, I'm sure there is a healthier alternative?)

Mix well then bake at 300 F for approximately 30 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes or so!



Super easy and a hit with the kids. Because I skipped the soy powder I added half a cup of wheat bran and half a cup of ground flaxseed. You could add raisins, dried fruit, pumpkin seeds or pretty much anything you want. As always, let me know if you make it!


1 comment:

the smiths said...

I have a granola recipe that is made once a week in my house. Pretty similar - but 4 cups oats, 1 cup (or a little less) of sliced almonds, sunflower seeds, pecans, coconut, 1/2 cup honey, 1/3 cup maple syrup, 1/3 cup water, 3 Tbsp olive oil. A big hit at my house!!!!