Monday, October 22, 2012

Toddler Bed Disaster

I was pretty nervous about making the transition to toddler beds with twin boys but I knew it had to happen eventually. I know many kids who stay in cribs longer, but because they were in a bed at daycare and outgrowing their pack n' plays when we went away, I figured we should be consistent. I bought them the Gro Clock which had rave reviews to show them when to stay in bed (when they see the star) and when to get up (when they see the sun) and everyone was excited. The first few nights went beautifully. 

But then they discovered their freedom and the monkey business began and pretty much hasn't stopped. I can't blame them. They are little boys and they have a lot to discover. But I'm tired of them taking hours to fall asleep. I'm tired of one biting the other. I'm tired of them falling out of laundry baskets while giving each other rides (pretty cute idea though!). I'm tired of things being destroyed and clothes everywhere.

We went with the little-intervention approach. If we heard crying we went in to deal with it, but figured if we generally stayed out of it they would get bored. Well two weeks later it hasn't gotten any better, probably worse. And although we've gotten them to help us clean up clothes and done a lot of talking about it, I think we've unintentionally taught them that what they're doing is okay. And to us, it isn't. 

I don't really want to turn back but I'm not opposed to going back to cribs. If they can't handle the freedom, then they can't. I have had friends say they've taken everything out of the room to make it boring. But I have no where else to put their giant dresser and I want them to learn while they have their regular room in tact. We are changing our strategy and will be tightening up the reigns in the next few days. I am really hoping it works. I know this is all just a phase and it's great they are having fun, but they also need sleep. We'll see how it goes!

1 comment:

Tish said...

I hope it gets better quickly. I have no experience to offer just my prayers for sanity. Can't imagine how hard this is for you at the end of a long day.