Sunday, January 27, 2013

Sick & Thankful

I feel like our family has been pretty lucky this season. Besides a round of strep throat for me in November and a few minor colds, we've been pretty healthy. On Friday I was feeling pretty achey. I didn't think much of it. I had done a spinning class and some swimming a few days prior, plus I had been on my feet teaching basketball for a few days in a row. I went to work and then headed to the gym, figuring I'd just push through it. Then when I got home it instantly hit me...chills with no hope of getting warm, headache and feeling awful. You know that feeling when you stand up and it feels like your brain is hitting the side of your head? The less movement the better. The chills turned to sweat and I knew it was official. What resulted was 14 hours in bed, some cancelled plans and a very low-key day. By some miracle it seems to be a very short one, and I'm feeling better today.

I know so many people who have had it really rough with the flu and I don't envy them. As I've mentioned before I'm a bit of a baby when it comes to being sick. But this time was different. I've recently started a DVD book study with some friends based on this gem, which has taught me a ton about gratitude. As I lay in my bed on Friday night feeling terrible, I chose to be thankful instead of feeling sorry for myself. Thankful for a warm bed, heat in my home, Advil, clean water to keep me hydrated and a special blanket made by my Grandma. That simple shift in focus off of myself and my circumstances to what I could give thanks for, made all the difference. I didn't feel great, but at least I wasn't grumpy. It is progress for me. Definitely baby steps, but I'm growing!

No comments: