Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Overwhelmed

It is a crazy feeling to be so close to giving birth. We'll officially set the date at my last OB appointment on Thursday, but I will likely be induced a week today if I don't go into labour on my own before then. But really, it could happen at any moment. In an instant, my life is going to change dramatically. We will go from a family of two to a family of four. We will have two little people we are responsible for feeding, changing, clothing, teaching and loving. And they will be our children for the rest of our lives.

Everyone says to just try and survive the first few months with twins. They are the hardest and then apparently it gets a bit easier. Sometimes I forget that it doesn't end after that. We'll just be in a new phase and the adventures will continue....crawling, walking, talking, potty training, school, vacations, discipline etc. etc. Wow! How do you prepare for something like this? I really don't know if you can.

I'm so excited to meet my babies, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit scared at the huge responsibility I'm about to take on as a parent. I don't know how to parent one child, let alone two! Thankfully Joel and I both grew up with great examples and have the support of our amazing family and friends. We'll make mistakes, we'll learn and we'll settle into life as four. I'm sure it won't be long before it all feels quite normal. But sitting on this side of it and knowing the countdown is on, it's all a little bit overwhelming!

No comments: