Friday, May 28, 2010

The Perfect Family?

I often get asked my people if I know the sex of my babies and they are usually surprised that I don't. The comment I have gotten most often that has also been most surprising is that hopefully I'll have a boy and a girl and then I'll be done. Wouldn't it just be perfect to have a boy and a girl, and then I wouldn't have to have any more kids? I don't really get it. First it assumes that a boy and girl is the perfect scenario. While it would be great, it would also be really fun to have two boys or two girls. The second assumption is that two is the perfect number of kids. It seems to be for a lot of people, but I have never planned on only having two kids. Joel comes from a family of four kids and I come from a family of three. I've loved having more than one sibling. Of course, each family has to make their own decisions and sometimes there are surprises. Who knows, maybe we will stop after two but I'm not ready to decide that yet. I guess I've just been surprised how often I've heard that I'll be done if I have a boy and a girl.

1 comment:

Tish said...

Julianne - I just found your blog and started reading backwards. Got to this post and had to agree. Now that we have the boy and the girl, I've been told a billion times that we have the perfect family and must be ready to stop. I think every family is perfect, and if we decide to have a third (I'm hoping to convince hubby), I still think it will be perfect with 2 boys and a girl or 2 girls and a boy. I had 3 in my family and couldn't imagine life without both of my siblings. - Letitia