Thursday, July 28, 2011

6 Years

That's how long I've been married to my amazing husband. The years keep rolling by. While I don't really believe in "the one", I absolutely believe I married the right guy for me. Our marriage isn't perfect, we definitely have things to work on, but we're both one hundred percent committed to making our relationship the best it can be. And I think a huge part of that is time. As we prepared to welcome two babies into the world, just over a year ago, I wondered what kind of impact the huge transition would have on our marriage. I can honestly say it's only gotten better. Joel is a an amazing, hard working, fully engaged dad and watching him with our boys makes me fall even more in love with him. There's nothing sexier than a man changing diapers ;) But another thing, that I know not everyone will agree with, is that our relationship with each other comes first, before our relationship with our boys. Although we haven't done it perfectly, we try to make time together a priority. Just a few weeks after we became parents we went out for dinner on our first date, and we frequently have babysitters so we can get out (the bonus of a 7pm bedtime is that we can put our boys down and then go out... they don't miss out on us, and babysitting consists of watching TV at our house. Bonus for everyone!) One of the best gifts I think you can give your children is the example of a strong, healthy marriage.

Last night we enjoyed a wonderful meal out at a local inn. While we ate delicious food and drank delicious wine, we reflected on the past and dreamed of the future. But I also enjoyed the present, spending time with the person I love most in this world, who challenges me, encourages me, teaches me and loves me despite my faults. No doubt there will be some bumps, maybe even some mountains ahead, but I'm thankful for the person I get to be on the journey with. I love you Joel. Happy 6 years! xoxo

1 comment:

the smiths said...

Awesome! Happy anniversary! And I fully agree that your relationship with your partner must come first. :) Here's to many more years filled with love ahead of you........