Monday, August 8, 2011

Summer Vacation



This past week Joel took the week off work for a much needed vacation. His last vacation days were over Christmas which was a bit of a bust. My Grandma had just passed away, we were all sick on Christmas day and then ended up in the hospital for several days with the boys. Not very relaxing or enjoyable. His other vacation days last year were spent at home helping in the early weeks of the boys. We were ready for a break!


Since the boys are still napping twice a day and mobile, but not yet walking, we figured we'd stay with the familiar. So we headed to the farm for several days. We saw both of my brothers and their families and my parents were there as well. Highlights included lots of time reading (I was on my third book when we left), sleeping in every day (a bonus of having a husband who LIKES to get up early...crazy, I know!), riding the waves of Georgian Bay with my brother on a stormy day, Micah's first steps (and last for the moment... no new attempts) and watching my boys explore the farm. I'm thankful to have such a wonderful place in our family to go and relax. Every season there is beautiful and unique in its own way. When we came home we enjoyed a day with friends and some more relaxing at home.


Vacations aren't what they used to be. As a teacher I have great time off, so that would often mean a March Break trip to Cuba, camping or cottaging in Muskoka, day trips to Niagara-on-the Lake or Stratford. Now with two little toddlers in tow, we don't go too farm from the comforts of home or the farm and we don't DO much. It's a new normal, but I like it. I know as our kids gets older we will get more adventurous again. There's lots of time for that. But for now I enjoy the simple pleasures of getting out of my house and being together as a family. Joel is such an involved dad that having him around really is a vacation.


As I'm back to the usual stay-at-home mom gig. I have a big "Household Projects" list on my fridge, left-over from my spring cleaning attempts, that I'd like to get done before my summer ends and have my life in some kind of organized order. But summer's not over yet. I plan to enjoy a few more BBQs, lots of fresh Ontario peaches and corn-on-the cob, bike rides, sitting on our patio and long evenings with my favourite people. What do you like best about summer?

No comments: