Friday, May 4, 2012

The Saga of My Toe

Sometime around mid-March, I was in a rush to get out the door and ended up kicking the side of the stairs really hard. It hurt but no big deal. A few days later it started swelling up to the point of concern. A call to Telehealth confirmed my life wasn't in danger but I should probably go get it checked out. That led to a round of antibiotics to control infection and the orders to soak it with epsom salts four times a day. Who has time to soak their foot four times a day, especially with toddlers who would just think the water was a blast to play with. On my last day of antibiotics I broke out in a rash all over my body. I had also eaten blue cheese for the first time (I know, early 30's and never eaten blue cheese...call me crazy but moldy cheese doesn't appeal to me. But not to worry Wayne, I loved your salad and didn't even know I was eating it)  so we're not sure which of the two I'm allergic to. Allergy testing in July and November will let me know. It was getting to the point where the pain at night was keeping me up. Not fun.

With no improvement I went back to see the nurse practioner who is lovely but I was slightly concerned when her attempt to diagnose involved Google images and some photos I wish I had never seen. She told me to keep soaking it and gave me some anti-fungal cream. Several weeks later, no improvement so I went back to see her again. This time she threw around words like "gout" (yikes!), gave me a round of anti-inflammatories and sent me on my way. Taking those was the first time I saw some improvement but it was short-lived and in the last week it got worse. Time to go back and see my doctor. She was clearly concerned about why it wasn't improving, called in another doctor (who I went to high-school with) for her opinion and threw around a few more words I didn't like. Yesterday involved blood-work and an x-ray plus another round of antibiotics in hopes of getting to the bottom of this. I go back next week where it's possible she will drain it. I don't know exactly what that involves but it doesn't sound like a good time.

So here I am with a toe that's getting worse and no diagnosis. Four appointments, four rounds of drugs, two tests and countless hours with my foot in a bucket. And last night as I was applying my required heat, I'm pretty sure I burned it. Dumb, I know. Sandal season is upon us and sadly I have yet to participate. The number one thing I was looking forward to about our new gym was swimming laps which I've done all of once. I've taken the boys swimming once and had to recruit family members to help the other times while I watched from the deck. Whatever is going on, I've decided to be kind enough not to share it with the public, to the best of my ability. So that is my toe saga (I didn't know it was possible to write three paragraphs about a toe...if you've gotten this far, I'm impressed!) Is it annoying? Yes. Has it taken up a lot of my time? Yes. Is it painful? Yes. But all in all it's just a toe and I will live. I actually find it humorous that something so small can be such a pain and thankfully I've been able to do most things as usual. You can bet that when this is finally dealt with I will be celebrating with a pedicure. Hopefully sooner than later!

No comments: