Thursday, November 3, 2011

Life and Death

Last Saturday was a bit of an emotional rollercoaster for me where two parts of my life intersected. On the previous day, my second niece was born weighing a tiny 3 pounds, 4 ounces at 33 weeks. The pregnancy hadn't been easy and it was determined that she'd do better continuing to grow on the outside, so out she came. Although small she is completely healthy, breathing on her own and doing well. She'll remain in the NICU for several weeks and hopefully soon be transferred closer to home. I was eager to go meet her. But turning the corner towards the hospital I was hit with a flood of emotions. Seven years ago almost to the day, in that same hospital, is where Joel's mom passed away due to injuries from a car accident. I knew her for less than two years but I saw the impact her devestating loss had on my husband and his family. From the little I knew her I can honestly say she was one of the kindest most positive people I have ever met. It hits me at different points... when others talk about their mother-in-law (often complaining and I know I'd have nothing to complain about) and especially for my boys who are missing out on a wonderful Grandma. I will make sure they grow up knowing what a special person she was.

I walked through the same doors to see my niece that we walked out of seven years ago, not quite believing what had just happened. I held it together until I saw my brother and then the tears fell. He has seen me through many tear-filled moments but probably wasn't expecting it as I was coming to meet my daugther. Life is full of highs and lows and a whole lot of in betweens. As I tried to wade between the extremes I fell back on thankfulness... thankful for the life of an amazing woman that was cut too short, for her legacy that lives on in her family and for what she taught me in the few short years I knew her... and also thankful for a beautiful little niece, born too early but hanging in there and for the family she gets to grow up in. Isn't she sweet?


2 comments:

Ali Raney said...

This is a beautiful post Julianne! I remember hearing about Joel's Mom's passing one morning in church. I didn't know you guys at the time, but you were sitting right in front of me (at Speers and Kerr) and I remember praying for you guys. I'm sure your M-I-L would have loved to have you as a D-I-L!

Alice said...

You're such a good wife and daughter-in-law, J. That was a terrific post.