A friend posted a link to this recipe so I pinned it (Are you on Pinterest? Awesome!) and finally got to making it this week. I LOVE things I can freeze for my boys and be used for a snack or quick meal and these were perfect, not to mention very quick and easy to make. They were a hit with the boys, who currently love to say the word "pizza". You could also add super diced veggies to round out the food groups. They're great for adults too... I popped several back in a row...especially as a yummy appetizer at a party! I have a feeling I'll be making these on an almost weekly basis. I think I only got 19 out of my mini-muffin tins but depends on the size. Let me know if you try them!
Pepperoni Pizza Puffs
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (I didn't have this so used a pinch or two of oregano)
- pinch of salt (optional)
- pinch of red pepper flakes (optional, but I used them)
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup cubed pepperoni (I used cut up Natural Selections ham...healthier I think??? Will try pepperoni too.)
- 1/2 cup store-bought pizza sauce (didn't use this for the boys but would make them more delicious)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 24-cup mini-muffin pan. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, Italian seasoning, salt and red pepper flakes (if using) ; whisk in the milk and egg. Stir in the mozzarella, Parmesan and pepperoni; let stand for 10 minutes.
2. Stir the batter and divide among the mini-muffin cups. Bake until puffed and golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, microwave the pizza sauce until warmed through. Serve the puffs with the pizza sauce for dipping.