Thursday, December 29, 2011

Carrot Muffins

As a busy mom I love having food that's ready to go for my boys. I'm also a big believer in limiting the amount of sugar and extra junk that my kids intake. Yes, I got made fun of the other day for not giving my boys Christmas cookies...not that I never will, but I don't think they know what they're missing yet so what's the point this young? I also didn't mind when my mom and sister-in-law gave spoonfuls of ice cream to my boys. That's what grandmas and aunts are for right? It's the general idea and effort that matters. Anyways, I'm not usually prepared when it comes to snack time. Crackers are often the go-to although many are full of not so great things. (My favourite are Triscuits which have 2 ingredients: whole wheat and salt...we get the reduced sodium kind).

I found this carrot muffin recipe in this book that I borrowed from my library several months back. I love that they have no sugar, wholesome ingredients including a vegetable and are easy to freeze. I will warn you, they don't taste great to big people but for little ones who aren't yet addicted to sugar and salt, they do the trick. They at least get the passing grade with my boys. Since I know several readers have toddlers and young kids around I thought I'd share. Let me know if you make them!

Carrot Muffins

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Yields: 12 muffins

1 cup plain, full-fat yogurt
½ cup whole milk
2 eggs
1 T maple syrup (I use PC organic 100% pure)
1 T canola oil
2 ¼ cups whole-wheat flour
½ t baking soda
1 t baking powder
½ t salt
3 medium carrots grated (about 1 cup)



1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray
2. Whisk together the yogurt, milk, eggs, syrup and oil until smooth
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
4. Add the grated carrots and the yogurt mixture to the flour mixture and stir well.
5. Pour the mixture evenly into the muffin pan and bake for 20 minutes. Cool and serve. (I always use an ice cream scoop with the spring handle...perfect for scooping batter into muffin tins!)

No comments: