Sunday, September 9, 2012

Healthy Basic Muffins


I'm a big fan of muffins. They're pretty easy to make, freezable and make great snacks for me and the boys. I'm always on the hunt for healthy versions. I found this one in an issue of Today's Parent magazine and it's gone over well here. I made them with blueberries the first time. Once my month of no sugar is over I'll be trying them with chocolate chips and probably with apples too! If you make them, let me know how you like them.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup each oat flour, whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour (I found oat flour at Bulk Barn)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp each baking soda, cinnamon and salt
1/4 cup each white and packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup canola oil
3/4 cup buttermilk (I just used regular milk)
1 cup berries, chopped fruit, nuts or chocolate chips

*You can mix the dry ingredients together ahead of time and store in a container to use later. I find this helpful as a mom!*

Directions:
1. In a bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
2. In another bowl whisk together the eggs, oil and milk.
3. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients.
4. Stir in your fruit, nuts or chocolate chips.
5. Divide among 12 muffin cups.
6. Bake at 350F for 22 minutes or until muffins are golden around the edges.
7. Allow them to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then cool on a rack.






No comments: