Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Parmesan Zucchini Bites

The one time I made it to my city's Farmer's Market this summer I bought a zucchini. I don't particularly like them but am trying to expand my vegetable repertoire and they looked good. I found this recipe on Pinterest so thought I'd give it a try. The recipe I worked from can be found here.  You can find exact amounts, I just estimated.



What you need:
- A zucchini or two
- Panko bread crumbs (regular would work too, I think)
- Parmesan cheese 
- Kosher salt
- Pepper
- Olive oil



What you do:
- Cut zucchini into 1/4 inch circles and toss with olive oil.
- Combine bread crumbs, salt and pepper. I also added garlic powder to add to the flavour. You can experiment with spices.
- Put the breadcrumb mixture on a plate and dip the coat both sides of the zucchini with it. 
- Put zucchini on a foil-lined, sprayed cooking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for around 25 minutes, possibly longer if you want them crisper (check them at 20 to be safe). I would probably even broil them for a minute or two at the end.  They don't need to be flipped.



My verdict:
- I am still not a big fan of zucchini but if I was ever going to eat it, this is the way. Cheese and a golden crust with help me eat almost anything. For my zucchini loving friends I'm pretty sure you'll love this. It's a fun way to mix up a side dish or even a healthier appetizer. 

No comments: